Monday, September 27, 2010

Day Five: The New York Television Festival ("Free Beer")

Two great things came together this day: free entertaining tv and free beer. Not just free beer, Stella Artois.
It began on Monday (Day Four) when I heard a colleague of mine in the program had a pilot entered into the New York Television Festival (NYTVF), a festival that showcases independent talent and puts amateurs in touch with the people behind TV. After hearing this, that a colleague needed my support, and that I didn't have Terror Behind The Walls on Wednesday, I decided to go. But I didn't want to go alone so I asked Dom DeAngelo to come and he said yes.
We left for NYC around 5:30 AM and MegaBus was late again so I literally ran from him as soon as we got off the bus. I have no idea what he did while I was at the studios. That is a story for another day.*
*Actually he just walked around Time Square and went to Midtown Comics.
At the studios we read more scripts though unfortunately mine was not read. I would have liked to get some feedback. We also met the producer of Young FRankenstein who both inspired me to try harder to get into this business but who also made me feel a bit sad. If I really want to do this, which I do, it's going to be damn hard... and it worries me. Sometimes I wonder if I even really have the talent to be in this world. Then I remember that I don't care. I love it and will stop at nothing. Damn.
Afterwards I met up with Dom and we went to a little Italian cafe. I didn't expect to get much but the food they had was so fucking fancy. I asked for pasta and got a five star rated meal from Heaven. It was beyond delicious and, even better, Dom paid. Granted, he owed me, but it was still nice.
Then we contemplated what to do and eventually wound up just going to where the NYTVF was being held and waited. While waiting we realized that Dom purchased the wrong metro pass, got some fruit, and died of exhaustion. Not literally.
Around 5 PM the doors opened and we went in to watch some pilots. There was an It's Always Sunny rip off that was okay. There was a cooking show parody with Werner Herzog that made me laugh my ass off. And there was a bad Guy Ritchie rip off. Then some people began showing up for Jorge's, my colleagues, pilot. I met up with Brian and Travis and we chatted. Then we watched more pilots. An uninspired college comedy. A great British comedy. And Jorge's which was pretty fucking amazing. Then there was free beer! And I had some of the first beers with friends from the program and we chatted and I got pretty damn close to drunk.
Then it came time for me and Dom to catch the bus and fear set in. Not really though cause I was pretty tipsy. But we had gone through the wrong turnstyle and when we needed to go through the right one my metro pass wasn't working. After some nervous moments Dom finally swiped his card, with his last ride, and we literally squished together so we could go through the rotating gate together. I imagine there is a hilarious security tape somewhere.
Then we met osme cool people on the bus and I drunkenly passed out. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment